Today is Valentines Day. Valentines day highlights all the affairs of the heart so today I thought that I would give you a quick thirty minute recipe that you can try that would be good for your heart. This recipe is called Quick Bison Chili. The reason why this recipe is good for your heart is because it contains a minimal amount of carbohydrates and sugars. Excessive carbohydrates is converted by your body into destructive plaque forming triglycerides and low density lipoproteins. By keeping your triglycerides and LDL low, you greatly reduce you risk of heart disease and cardiovascular disease in general.
I discovered this recipe in one of my favorite Paleo cook books. Melissa Petitto is a registered dietitian and she authored a great cookbook called 30 minute Paleo Meals. I have tried many recipes in this cookbook and I have not been disappointed yet. All of her recipes are delicious. This recipe calls for ground bison but if you are not a bison eater, ground beef can be substituted.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 5 cloves of fresh garlic – minced
- 1 lb. of ground bison
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- one 28 oz. can of diced tomatoes
For the topping:
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the bison and sauté for an additional 3 minutes or until the bison is browned and cooked through
- Add the tomato past, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir for approximately 1 minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes, bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, make the topping. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, mix and set aside.
- To serve, ladle the chili into bowls and serve with the topping.
And that’s all there is to this great Bison Chili Recipe. You can add your favorite salad on the side to make this a complete meal. Enjoy!